Pentax has announced a follow-up to their K100D digital SLR that was announced last year. The Pentax K100D Super incorporates just a few new features (Dust Removal and support for Supersonic Drive Motor lenses), but it’s essentially the same camera as the K100D.
You will still find a 6.1 megapixel APS-C sized CCD, 2.5 inch LCD with 210K pixels of resolution, 11-point AF system, 16 segment metering system and all of the same shooting features. While the K100D just had the CCD-shift Shake Reduction, the "Super" model adds the Dust Reduction feature.
The Pentax K100D Super also adds in support for SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor) lenses that Pentax has been introducing lately. When you attach an SDM-equipped lens, the camera automatically switches to SDM-assisted focusing.
The Pentax K100D Super will be available in August 2007 with a price of $599 (with 18-55mm lens) or $519 for the body by itself.
- Sensitivity to ISO 3200
- Compatible with SDHC memory media
- 19 custom functions to personalize camera operations
- Consecutive shooting of up to five frames at the speed of approximately 2.8 frames per second (at BEST image quality in JPEG format)
- Eight distinctive Scene modes to accommodate specific subjects/applications
- Choice of two preview functions (digital/optical)
- Choice of 16-segment multi-pattern metering, center-weighted metering and spot metering to accommodate various photographic applications
- Noise reduction mechanism to reduce digital noise during extended exposures
- Dual power source (two CR-V3 lithium batteries, or four AA-size batteries)
- USB 2.0 (HI-SPEED) compatibility for speedy data transfer to PC
- Five digital filters (Black-and-white, Sepia, Slim, Soft and Brightness) for easy editing of recorded images
- PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 RAW data and image processing software and PENTAX PHOTO Browser 3 image browser software included on the accompanying CD-ROM
- Compatibility with PictBridge, DPOF, Exif Print and PRINT Image Matching formats
Pentax AF200FG Auto Flash
Pentax also announced a new compact flash unit, the AF200FG Auto Flash. It’s compact, lightweight and has a guide number of 20 at ISO 100. The P-TTL system uses a flash pre-discharge to provide exposure data to the camera’s metering system to determine exposure. The AF200FG can cover 28mm (35mm equivalent) and an included flip-down diffuser can help out when you need to take wider angle shots (to 24mm). The flash is powered by 4 AA batteries and it’s dimensions are 2.7" x 3.3" x 3.7". The AF200FG Auto Flash unit will ship in August 2007 for US $150.