In a very exciting development, Olympus has announced the Evolt E-330, the world’s first interchangeable lens Digital SLR with a live display on the LCD. In current Digital SLR cameras, a mirror, blocking the image sensor, is used to provide the optical viewfinder with the shot. Once the shutter is released, the mirror swings out of the way so the sensor can capture the image. Olympus has managed to be the first to market with a product that overcomes the physical and technical hurdles of providing an optical viewfinder and live view LCD.
The Olympus Evolt E-330 features the “Live View” LCD, a 2.5 inch, articulated screen that allows a real-time view to frame the shot and the ability to shoot overhead or low angle shots. The side swinging mirror that first appeared on the low-profile E-300 appears on the new E-330 to help enable the Live View. The HyperCrystal LCD also displays 215K+ pixels and has a 160 degree viewing angle.
Getting past the Live View, the camera has a 7.5 megapixel MOS sensor, Olympus’ Dust Reduction System that knocks dust off the sensor with ultrasonic vibrations, and the TruePIC Turbo image processor.
The camera will be available in a one lens kit, along with a Zuiko Digital 14-45mm f3.5-f5.6 lens (28-90mm 35mm-equivalent). The camera will be available in March. The single lens kit will have an estimated street price of $1099.99 and the body only has an estimated street price of $999.99.
Olympus is also introducing the PT-E02 underwater housing so you can enjoy the benefits of the Live View LCD up to 196 feet underwater. However, the underwater housing will cost more than the camera, at $1219.99.
Olympus Evolt E-330 Summary Specifications
- 7.5 megapixel MOS sensor
- 2.5 inch articulated HyperCrystal LCD (can be extended and swivled up or down)
- Accepts Compact Flash and xD memory media
- Viewfinder information: AF frame, Shutter speed, Aperture value, AF confirmation mark, Flash, White balance, AE lock, Number of storable still pictures, Exposure compensation value indication, Metering mode, Battery check, Exposure mode, Record mode
- Focus Modes: Single AF / Continuous AF / Manual Focus / Single AF + MF/ Continuous AF + MF
- Metering method: TTL Full Aperture Light Metering by 49 Zones
- Scene Modes: Portrait / Landscape / Landscape & Portrait / Night Scene / Nigh Scene & Portrait / Children / Sports / High-Key / Low-Key / Reducing Blur / Macro / Nature Macro / Candle / Sunset / Fireworks / Documents / Beach & Snow / Underwater Macro / Underwater Wide / Panorama
- Exposure Compensation: +/- 5 EV in 1, 2/3, or 1/2 steps
- ISO range: ISO 100 to 400 (800?), Expandable to 1600 (in each 1/3 EV step possible)
- Shutter speed range: Auto, P, Ps: 1/4000 to 2 Sec, S: 1/4000 to 60 Sec, M: 1/4000 to 60 Sec and Bulb (up to 8 minutes)
- Shots per second: approximately 2.5
- Maximum number of continuous shots: RAW; TIFF:4 Frames, JPEG (HQ, SQ); Up to full capacity with high speed media.
- USB 2.0 interface
- Battery: Rechargeable Li-ion battery Pack BLM-1/ 3x CR123A with LBH-1
- Weight: 15.4 ounces without battery or Compact Flash card
- Dimensions: 5.09 inches (W) x 3.72 inches (H) x 2.59 inches (D)