Pentax Launches a Digital SLR Mini-site
Pentax has launched a new mini-site (www.pentaxSLR.com) to help folks shop for Pentax digital SLR products. The site includes all of their products: bodies, lenses, and accessories. Also on the site, you’ll be able to find FAQs, rebates, specifications and other resources about building your own Digital SLR system (with their products, of course).
The site is titled “The New Classic” and to promote the launch, Pentax has announced a set of rebates which I’ll list below (www.pentaximaging.com/rebates):
- ($100) smc P-DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) Lens
- ($100) smc P-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Lens
- ($100) smc P-DA 16-45mm F4.0, ED/AL
- ($100) smc P-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Lens (black or silver)
- ($100) smc P-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited Lens (black or silver)
- ($100) smc P-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Lens (black or silver)
- ($75) smc P-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Lens
- ($50) smc P-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Lens
- ($50) smc P-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Lens
- ($30) OptioWPi digital camera
- ($30) OptioWP digital camera
Photo Kiosk is the PMDA “Person of the Year”
With the high growth in the digital image printing industry, the PhotoImaging Manufacturers and Distributors Association (PMDA) has announced that their “Person of the Year” Award is going to the photo kiosk. With cost per print much lower than a home photo printer, the kiosk saw great growth this year. According to a study from the PMA in March 2005, digital prints created at retail stores grew 105%, while home printing volume only grew by 1%.
The awards will be presented at the annual PMDA awards dinner on February 26, the night before the PMA show in Orlando.
Shutterfly and Crest Whitestrips Holiday Smiles Photo Contest
In typical Shutterfly fashion, they have another promotion, this time along with Crest Whitestrips. Just submit a picture of your best holiday smile to the contest site. Members and non-members of Shutterly will be able to rate their favorites. Twenty five semi-finalists will be selected from the highest rated photos and a panel of judges will “look for originality and creativity together with popularity” in order to figure out who wins.
- Grand Prize (one winner): A Canon Powershot SD200 digital camera with a $75 Shutterfly Gift Card and the winner’s choice of one of the following trips including round-trip air transportation for a family of four and hotel accommodations.
- A 5-day/4 night trip to New York City including tickets to a Broadway show, dinner at the Tavern on the Green restaurant and $2,000 in spending money
- A 6-day/5-night trip to Orlando, FL including use of a rental car and unlimited admission to Epcot, Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom plus $2,000 spending money
- A 7-day/6-night trip to Oahu, HI including use of a rental car and a Polynesian VIP attraction package plus $1,200 spending money
- First Prizes (five winners) – A Canon Powershot SD200 digital camera plus a $75 Shutterfly Gift Card
- Second Prizes (ten winners) — A $75 Shutterfly Gift Certificate
- Semi-Finalist Prizes (25 winners) — A box of Crest Whitestrips Premium
Kodak’s Great Gifts for the Holiday Season
Doing a little self-promotion, Kodak conducted a survey and learned that over half of the respondents want a digital camera for Christmas. Also, when it comes to “two in one presents”, respondents say that they would prefer a digital camera and printer combo over an MP3 player with songs or a DVD player with movies. (I know, not really very good options. What about a phone/mp3 player?)
So here are Kodak’s recommendations:
Best Gifts for Gadget Lover: Kodak EasyShare One, Kodak EasyShare Picture Viewer
Best Gift for the Trendsetter in the Family: Kodak EasyShare V-series
Best Gift for the Photo Enthusiast: Kodak P-series
Inexpensive Gifts for Super-Moms: Kodak EasyShare Gallery Photo Books and Greeting Cards
Hot Finds for the Holiday Hostess: Kodak EasyShare SnapShot printers (Printer Dock Plus Series 3)
Digital Foci Introduces the Media Buddy – Affordable Photo Storage Device
As an altenative to their pricier Picture Porter, Digital Foci has announced the Media Buddy portable digital photo storage device. Starting at a price of $229, the Media Buddy comes in 30-80GB versions. The internal hard drive stores the images from your memory cards. The Media Buddy accepts Compact Flash, Smart Media, SD/MMC, xD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick Pro Duo.
To cut the price, the Media Buddy has a text-only backlit LCD instead of the 2″ color LCD that comes on the picture porter. A USB 2.0 connection allows quick transfer to you computer (the Media Buddy connects to your computer like an external hard drive). You can actually store any file that you want (pictures, movies, music, other files) and the device is compatible with Windows and Mac machines. The Media Buddy can also act like an MP3 player.
The device has a built-in lithium ion rechargeable battery that is good for 1.6 hours of continuous use. Also included in the package is: Ulead Photo Explorer image management software (normally a $30 value), USB cable, earphones, AC adapter, carrying case, resource disk, and user’s guide.
The Media Buddy weighs 11 oz, and can be found in Powder Blue, Arctic Silver, and Pearl Gray. You can also choose from 30GB, 40GB, 60GB and 80GB models. Purchase directly from Digital Foci’s website at www.digitalfoci.com.