At a pre-CES press conference today, Sony unveiled a replacement for its entry-level Alpha A100 SLR, the Sony Alpha DSLR-A200.
Carrying over technology from the mid-level Sony A700, the 10.2 megapixel A200 offers an improved menu and control system, a 2.7-inch LCD, cleaner high-ISO shots, a more compact form factor, and an AF system that claims to be 1.7 times faster than that of the A100. As with the rest of Sony’s Alpha lineup, the A200 also features the manufacturer’s Super SteadyShot sensor-shifting image stabilization technology.
In terms of control improvements, the A200 eliminates the 100’s dual-dial control setup in favor of a single mode dial with a button-selected function menu, and a battery indicator displaying the percentage of battery life remaining provides a clearer representation of available power than the previous generation’s five-bar indicator. Stylistically, the A200’s modified body shape claims to be slimmer and more sculpted.
In combination with Sony’s BIONZ processor, upgraded sensor technology promises to provide better high-ISO performance from the A200’s APS-C-size CCD.
The new A200, which will be available for sale in February, comes in two kit variants: the $700 DSLR-A200K, with an 18-70mm lens, and the $900 DSLR-A200W, with both the 18-70mm and 75-300mm lenses.
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 specs and features:
- 10.2 megapixel APS-C size CCD with anti-dust cleaning system
- Super SteadyShot image stabilization built into the body of the camera for steady shots with any compatible lens
- 2.7-inch Clear Photo LCD screen
- Improved noise control for ISO 1600 or 3200 shooting with BIONZ image processor
- 1.7x faster auto focus speed compared to previous model
- Reduced auto focus time, improved predictive control performance, and quieter shutter sound compared to previous model
- Automatic pop-up flash
- Battery life indicator that displays the percentage of battery life remaining
- Built-in anti-dust technology to keep the imager clean and spots away from your photos
- 3 frames-per-second continuous shooting
- Accepts Sony, Carl Zeiss, and Minolta A-mount lenses
- CF Type I/II memory format
- 750-shot lithium-ion battery