As we head into vacation season, you may be looking for a new digital camera to capture those great sunsets or sand castles. To help you get started, we like to profile the most popular cameras on our web site. The rankings are determined by the number of times a particular product page is viewed by our users. The rankings below are from the entire month of May.
The top three didn't change at all, but we have a couple new Canons on the list (A700 and SD700 IS) and a new Sony. To make room for the new ones, the Nikon D50, Nikon D200, and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9 said goodbye (but they're still in the top twenty).
1. Canon Powershot A520 (previously #1) - When Canon announced their latest Powershot cameras, this one got a nice price drop. Current the most popular camera on our site, the A520 captures 4 megapixel images on a SD/MMC card, has a 4x optical zoom and runs on 2 AA batteries. If you don't need to take movies longer than 30 seconds, this is a great choice. Canon Powershot A520 Reviews | Canon Powershot A520 User Opinions
| || |
2. Canon Powershot SD600 (previously #2) - One of three new Digital ELPHs introduced last February, the SD600 features 6 megapixels, a 3x optical zoom, and a very nice 2.5 inch LCD. An MSRP of $349 makes this compact camera a pretty good buy. Canon Powershot SD600 Reviews | Canon Powershot SD600 User Opinions
3. Canon Digital Rebel XT (previously #3) - This Digital SLR is the most popular in its class and it's also a favorite among reviewers in its class (along with the Nikon D50). If you're looking to get away from the shutter lag of point and shoot cameras, or you have some Canon lenses that you're aching to use and you don't need a more expensive SLR, the Digital Rebel XT is a good way to go. Canon Digital Rebel XT Reviews | Canon Digital Rebel XT User Opinions
| || |
4. Canon Powershot S3 IS (previously #7) - Announced in February, the S3 IS is an update to the S2 IS. It features a 6 megapixel sensor, 2 inch flip out, rotating LCD, and a 12x stabilized optical zoom. Canon Powershot S3 IS Reviews | Canon Powershot S3 IS User Opinions
| || |
5. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 (previously #5) -- An affordable entry in the ultra-zoom field, the FZ7 shoots at 6 megapixels with a 12x image stabilized optical zoom. Our reviewer really liked it - you can see the review here. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 Reviews | Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 User Opinions
| ||6. Canon Powershot A700 (first time in top 10) - Currently the top of Canon's A line, the A700 shoots at 6 megapixels, has a 6x optical zoom, and a 2.5 inch LCD. Also, since it's in the A line, it's powered by 2 AA batteries. Images can be stored in the SD card. Canon Powershot A700 Reviews | Canon Powershot A700 User Opinions|
| ||7. Canon Powershot SD700 IS (first time in top 10) - The SD700 IS is the first camera in the Digital ELPH line (or SD line) that features Canon's image stabilization. The IS allows you to shoot at much slower shutter speeds to get good indoor pictures without a flash. The camera shoots at 6 megapixels, has a 2.5 inch LCD and a 3x optical zoom. Canon Powershot SD700 IS Reviews | Canon Powershot SD700 IS User Opinions|
|8. Canon Powershot A620 (previously #4) - One of the successors of the popular A95, the A620, with the DIGIC II processor and 2 inch flip out LCD is a fast camera with great image quality. This 7.1 megapixel camera uses 4 AA batteries for great life and stores images on an SD card. Use the 4x optical zoom to get close when you need it. Canon Powershot A620 Reviews | Canon Powershot A620 User Opinions|
|9. Canon Powershot S2 IS (previously #6) -- A very popular offering from Canon that offers a 12x optical zoom lens with image stabilization. A flip out 1.8 inch LCD, 5 megapixel sensor, Canon image quality and reasonable price explain its popularity. Canon Powershot S2 IS Reviews | Canon Powershot S2 IS User Opinions|
|10. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W70 (first time in top 10) - We reviewed the W70 towards the beginning of May and really enjoyed it. Along with the Sony good looks, this is also a great camera with a nice LCD and good image quality. The W70 takes 7.2 megapixel images, has a 2.5 inch LCD and a 3x optical zoom. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W70 Reviews | Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W70 User Opinions|
Falling out of the top 10 most popular cameras from the previous month is the:
To see our last ranking, see Most Popular Digital Cameras of April.
Other Top 10 Lists from TechnologyGuide.com
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2014, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement