Sony’s stylish, pocket-size Cybershot DSCP100 digital camera offers an amazing 5-megapixel resolution and a wealth of photographic features normally found on full-size, high-end cameras. About 1 inch thin and weighing less than 6 ounces, it’s easy to carry wherever you may roam. The DSCP100 also features a 3x optical zoom, Carl Zeiss optics, nine-shot burst mode, and a high-resolution movie mode that’s limited only by your Memory Stick’s capacity.
Optics and Resolution
The DSCP100 features a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar zoom lens–the first time this lens has been used with a Cybershot P-series camera. The Vario-Tessar lens is specially constructed for very compact cameras, and its design allows for quick autofocusing. It has a 3x optical zoom and 2x digital zoom, for a combined 6x.
The 1/1.8-inch Super HAD (Hole Accumulation Diode) CCD allows more light to reach each pixel, increasing sensitivity and reducing noise, and provides a 5.1-megapixel effective resolution (2,592 x 1,944). The Real Imaging Processor offers greater clarity and picture quality, improved response time and battery life, and decreased shutter lag.
Capture video with audio at 30 frames per second, VGA size (640 x 480); the included 32 MB memory card will store 87 seconds at this setting. Movie length is only limited by the amount of storage you have on hand. Video Mail mode captures a smaller movie (160 x 112 pixels) that’s more suitable for e-mailing to friends and family.
|About Multi-Pattern Measuring|
|Independently light-metering 49 points of the frame, Multi-Pattern Measuring establishes an optimum exposure value, even for scenes in which pronounced highlights and shadows are not centered in the frame.|
- Resolution Modes: 2,592 x 1,944 (5.1 MP), 2,592 x 1,728 (3:2 aspect ratio), 2,048 x 1,536 (3 MP), 1,280 x 960 (1 MP), and 640 x 480 (VGA)
- 1.8-Inch LCD Monitor: The high-resolution 134K LCD makes framing shots and reviewing pictures easy.
- Live Histogram Display: Available for capture and playback, the live histogram displays pixel concentration for each luminosity value, making it easy to determine correct exposure.
- Selectable Focus Mode: Monitoring Autofocus helps you anticipate action by focusing even before you press the shutter release.
- Five-Area Multi-Point Autofocus: By evaluating five separate focus areas in the frame, Sony’s Multi-Point AF system can intelligently focus on the subject and avoid mistaken focusing on the background.
- Autofocus Illuminator: Briefly illuminating the subject in low- or no-light conditions, the AF Illuminator helps establish a positive focus lock.
- Multi-Pattern Measuring: Independently light-metering 49 points of the frame, Multi-Pattern Measuring establishes an optimum exposure value, even for scenes in which highlights and shadows aren’t centered in the frame.
- Multi-Burst Mode: Captures sixteen 320 x 240 frames as part of a single 1,280 x 960 image which plays back sequentially (selectable intervals 1/7.5, 1/15, and 1/30 second).
- Manual Exposure Mode: Shutter speeds adjustable in 46 steps (1/1000 to 30 seconds) and two-step aperture control.
- Scene Selection Mode: With nine scene modes, parameters can be matched to shooting conditions. Choose from Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Landscape, Soft Snap, Candle, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, or High-Speed Shutter.
- Slow Shutter Noise Reduction: During long exposures, Slow Shutter NR captures the scene, and then the CCD noise pattern with a dark frame exposure. By subtracting one from the other, even long exposures can be clear.
- Pre-Flash Metering: With a momentary pre-flash, the camera illuminates the subject and sets exposure through the lens for accurate flash metering. Adjustable flash level and redeye reduction ensure great flash shots.
- Nine-Shot Burst Mode: Capture up to 9 shots (fine) or 15 shots (standard) at 1.2 frames per second, even at 5 MP. Perfect for high-speed subjects or fast-moving action, including sports.
|About Slow Shutter Noise Reduction|
|This process captures the scene
in two exposures. The second subtracts the noise pattern from the initial shot, resulting in a final photograph that is beautiful and virtually noise-free.
The Cybershot DSCP100 offers PictBridge functionality, which enables you to transfer pictures from your digital camera to a compatible printer–such as the Sony PictureStation DPP-EX50–without a PC or image-editing software. Images can be viewed and selected for printing right on the camera’s LCD, with menus for print quantity, date, and index.
Storage and Transfer
Images are stored on Memory Sticks, and the Cybershot DSCP100 is compatible with Memory Stick Pro media for storage up to 1 GB. The included 32 MB Memory Stick will store 12 fine and 23 standard 5.1-megapixel images. The DSCP100 transfers images to PCs and Macs via a speedy USB 2.0 connection (which is backward-compatible with USB 1.1 ports).
Power and Size
The camera is powered by a rechargeable Sony InfoLithitum (lithium-ion) battery, which provides reliable, long-lasting power for continuous shooting, with no “memory effect” (see “Tech Talk,” below). The included adapter/charger provides power while you transfer images from your camera to your PC.
It measures 4.25 by 2.13 by 1 inch (W x H x D) and weighs 5.8 ounces without the Memory Stick.
What’s in the Box
The package contains the Sony DSCP100 digital camera, a 32 MB Memory Stick, a rechargeable InfoLithium battery (NP-FR1), a battery charger (AC-LS5), A/V and USB cables, a wrist strap, and a CD-ROM with photo editing software for Windows PCs.
Cybershot Station and Photo Vault
The Cybershot DSCP100 digital camera is compatible with two optional add-ons from Sony that can help you present your photos or store them when you’re on the go. The Cybershot Station (CSS-PHA) charges the camera’s batteries while enabling you to play photo slideshows on your TV. The included infrared remote controls the camera while it’s docked in the station and makes it easy to send pictures to PictBridge-compatible printers.
The optional PhotoVault mini-CD burner eliminates worry about running out of space on your Memory Stick when traveling. It burns images to mini CD-Rs without a PC interface–just connect it to your camera with a USB cable. The PhotoVault also has a Memory Stick slot (compatible with Memory Stick Pro and Duo) and features built-in photo-album functionality, letting you display photos on a television screen using the TV’s standard AV input.
- Memory Effect: A phenomenon that occurs when rechargeable batteries are continually operated to a low level (such as 25%), then recharged. In such cases, the batteries can end up losing the rest of their capacity. Lithium-ion batteries, such as Sony’s InfoLithium, aren’t very susceptible to this effect, and NiMH batteries are at even less risk. NiCad batteries, on the other hand, are the most susceptible.
- Sony Cyber-shot DSCH70 16.1MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom - Silver
Spend $25, Get Free Shipping
Price: $229.09 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera
Price: $649.99 $448.00 Shipping: FreeSAVE 31%
- Sony DSC-RX100 20.2 Megapixel, 3.6x zoom, 4GB Bundle
Price: $649.99 $448.00 Shipping: FreeSAVE 31%
- Sony RX100 IV 20.1 Megapixel Black Digital Camera - DSC-RX100M4
Customer Appreciation Sale, Save Now Until 3/17!
Price: $949.00 $948.00 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Sony DSCRX100/B Digital Camera- Black- 20MP, 1 CMOS, f/1.8, 3.6X, 1080P, 3 LCD ($499.99 before $50.00 savings)
$499.99 before $50.00 savings
Price: $499.99 $449.99 Shipping: FreeSAVE 10%