Sony’s DSC-F88 5.1-megapixel digital camera offers a unique lens system design that rotates 300 degrees, enabling you the flexibility of capturing images from overhead or down below. You can even view your own self-portrait pose. This compact, all-metal body camera also features a Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar 3x optical zoom lens, Sony’s fast Real Imaging Processor with near immediate start-up time, PictBridge compatibility for direct printing, and compatibility with conversion lenses.
Optics and Resolution
The DSC-F88 has a 5.1-megapixel, 1/2.4″ Super HAD (Hole Accumulation Diode) CCD, which provide excellent image quality by allowing more light to pass to each pixel, increasing sensitivity and reducing noise. It features a maximum resolution of 2592 x 1944 pixels, enough detail for 4-by-6-inch to 20-by-30-inch (poster size) photos. Other resolution modes include 2592 x 1768 (3:2 aspect ratio), 2048 x 1536 (3MP), 1280 x 960 (1MP), and 640 x 480.
The camera features a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 3x optical zoom lens and a 2x digital zoom (for a 6x total). The Vario-Tessar lens is specially produced for compact cameras and provides rapid auto focus with appealing zoom range. Utilizing a highly transmissive optical grade prism, the lens is housed entirely within the camera’s rotating lens, and does not need to extend for use. Carl Zeiss lenses have an advanced optical multi-layer coating offering less glare and flare with increased contrast. This results in vivid image brilliance, true-to-life color saturation and perfect renditions of subtle tones.
In addition to snapping still images, the DSC-F88 can also capture video with audio at up to 640 x 480 pixels (16 frames per second). Your movie length is only limited by the size of the storage capacity of your Memory Stick. The included 32 MB card will hold 1 minute, 27 seconds of 640 x 480 video, while a 256 MB Memory Stick will store nearly 11 minutes.
- 1.8-inch, 134K LCD monitor
- By evaluating 5 separate focus areas of the frame, Sony’s Multi-Point AF system can intelligently focus on the subject and avoid mistakenly focusing on the background.
- Independently light-metering 49 points of the frame, Multi-Pattern Measuring establishes the optimum exposure, even when highlight and shadow isn’t centered in the frame.
- 9 Shot Burst Mode captures up to 9 shots (fine) or 16 shots (standard) at 1.6 frame/sec. even at 5 MP resolution; perfect for high speed subjects or fast moving action such as sports.
- Multi-Burst Mode captures 16 320 x 240 frames as part of a single 1280 x 960 image, which plays back sequentially in the camera (selectable 1/7.5, 1/15, 1/30 second).
- With a momentary pre-flash, the camera illuminates the subject and sets exposure through the lens for accurate flash metering. Adjustable flash level and red-eye reduction ensure great flash shots.
- With 10 Scene Modes, parameters can be matched to the shooting conditions. Choose from one of the following: Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Landscape, Soft Snap, Candle, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, High Speed Shutter or Magnifying Glass.
- A Live Histogram Display is available in capture and playback, showing the concentration of pixels at each luminosity value and making it easy to evaluate correct exposure.
- With VCL-07FEB wide conversion lens, you can expand your camera’s field of view, helping you capture the entire scene. It’s especially helpful in self-shooting when holding the camera at arm’s length.
- Make transferring images and recharging the DSC-F88’s battery easier with the optional CSS-FEB Cyber-shot station. Just place the camera on the cradle for instantaneous power and computer connections.
- Manual Exposure Mode provides extended control with 46-step adjustable Shutter speed (30-1/1000 sec.), and 2-step Aperture control.
- The AF (Auto Focus) Illuminator briefly illuminates the subject, in low–or no–light conditions helping to establish a positive focus lock.
Storage and Transfer
Images are stored on Memory Sticks, and the DSC-F88 is compatible with Memory Stick Pro media. It connects to Macs and Windows-based PCs via an ultrafast USB 2.0 connection.
Power and Size
The camera is powered by a rechargeable InfoLithium battery (NP-FR1), which provides reliable, long-lasting power for continuous shooting with no memory effect. It measures 3.9 x 2.9 x 1 inches (W x H x D) and weighs 6 ounces (7.4 ounces with battery, Memory Stick, and wrist strap).
What’s in the Box
This package contains the Sony DSC-F88 digital camera, 32 MB Memory Stick, rechargeable InfoLithium battery (NP-FR1), battery charger (AC-LS5), USB and A/V cables, wrist strap, and CD-ROM with photo editing and management software.