Pentax’s *ist D is the world’s smallest and lightest digital SLR (as of April 2003), measuring just 5.0 by 3.7 by 2.3 inches and weighing 18 ounces. It features a clarity of 6.1 effective megapixels, a 16 segment metering system, an-11 point AF sensor, and a continuous shooting rate of 2.7 frames per second. It’s also compatible with K, KA, KAF, and KAF2 mount lenses and 645/67 lenses with an adapter.
Optics and Resolution
Employing a high-performance CCD with dimensions of 23.5mm by 15.7mm and embracing Pentax’s unique image processing technology, the *ist D offers 6.1-megapixel resolution for the recording of precise, superior-quality images.
Storage and Transfer
The *ist D is compatible with CompactFlash Type I/II memory cards, and is also compatible with MicroDrives.
An optical pentaprism viewfinder was developed especially for the *ist D. This makes viewing easy with an ample 95% field of view and 0.95x magnification. There is also a superimposed display function that assists composition by illuminating the AF points in red.
Other features include:
- New 16-segment metering system achieves more accurate exposure
- New 11-point AF sensor (SAFOX VIII) for enhanced focusing
- Fast 1/4,000 second shutter speed and high-speed flash sync at 1/150 seconds
- Custom function allows functionality to be tuned to satisfy user preferences
- Noise reduction function activates for long exposures
- 1.8-inch, 118,000-pixel LCD monitor
- Choice of JPEG, TIFF, and RAW recording formats
- Convenient playback functions, such as nine-image and 12x magnification display
Power and Size
The camera is powered by 4 AA batteries; rechargeable NiMH batteries are recommended. It measures 5.0 by 3.7 by 2.3 inches and weighs 18 ounces.
The *ist D and the *ist DS Compared
|*ist D||*ist DS|
|Effective Pixels||6.1 Megapixels||6.1 Megapixels|
|LCD Monitor||1.8-inch TFT Color LCD||2.0-inch TFT Color LCD|
|Power Source||4 AA, or 2 CR-V3||4 AA, or 2 CR-V3|
|Storage Media||Compact Flash (I & II),
|SD Memory Card|
|File Formats||8-bit (JPEG), 8-bit (TIFF),
|Exposure Modes||Auto w/Hyper Program
|Interface||USB 1.1||USB 2.0|
|Flash Sync||1/150 sec||1/180 sec|
|Continuous Frame Advance||2.6 fps||2.8 fps|
|Continuous Autofocus||YES||YES (in Action Picture Mode only)|
|Wireless Flash Sync||YES||NO|
|Optional Vertical Grip||YES||NO|
|Remote Assistant from PC||YES||NO|
|Interchangeable Focusing Screens||YES||YES|
|Weight (w/o Batteries)||19.4 oz||17.8 oz|