With the introduction of the little Fujifilm Finepix XP170 (the same camera without Wi-Fi – the XP 150 is still available), Fuji is offering consumers the option to buy a genuinely tough camera that can not only slip beneath the waves (down to 33 feet/10 meters), but is also drop proof (Fuji calls it shockproof) to 6.6 feet (2 meters) and freezeproofed to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Centigrade) and dustproof. The Fujifilm Finepix XP170 is aimed directly at the “Extreme Sports” demographic. Many camera users call this class of imaging device underwater cameras or all- weather cameras, but cameras in this class are really designed for Extreme Sports aficionados. Extreme Sports fans skin-dive, snorkel, ski, water ski, snowboard, mountain bike, BMX, and skateboard so they need a different sort of camera – one that’s tougher and more durable than most other digicams. However for $200, we have come to expect a little more for our money. The Fuji XP170 has a decent spec list: it is rugged. It is waterproof. It is dustproof. It is freezeproof. But the image quality is lackluster and the video is just acceptable.
- Maximum aperture is too slow
- Images are soft in the corners
- Image quality is below average
Fuji does a great job producing cameras. Unfortunately, we don't think this is one of their finest. It is durable, but lacks great image quality.
Read Our Full Review: Fujifilm FinePix XP170 Review
- Fujifilm FinePix T550 16MP Digital Camera with 7.2x Optical Zoom - Red
Price: $159.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Fujifilm FinePix T550 16MP Digital Camera with 7.2x Optical Zoom - Black
Price: $190.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Fujifilm FinePix S9800 Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD - Black (16452279)
Price: $329.99 $249.99 Shipping: FreeSAVE 24%
- Fujifilm FinePix XF-1 12MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom - Red
Price: $449.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 16MP Digital Camera with 50x Optical Zoom - Black
Price: $379.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping