Featuring a high-tech design with aluminum front cover and metallic handgrip, the Canon PowerShot A80 combines a sense of both the modern and the traditional. Despite its entry-level designation in Canon’s digital lineup, the easy-to-operate, 4-megapixel PowerShot A80 is a surprisingly advanced model with sophisticated optics and manual controls. It also features a twisting LCD screen.
Optics and Resolution
The PowerShot A80 offers a 4-megapixel CCD sensor that produces images up to 2272 x 1704 pixels for photo-quality 11 x 14 inch enlargements. Other resolution modes include 1600 x 1200, 1024 x 768, and 640 x 480. The 3x zoom lens has a focal length of 7.8-23.4mm (equivalent to 38-114mm in 35mm photography). It also incorporates a 3.6x digital zoom for a total 11x zoom. The PowerShot A80 also features Canon’s nine-point AiAF system for focusing accuracy, shutter speeds of 15 to 1/1,500 second, and fast sequence shooting at a rate of 2.2 frames per second (fps).
In addition to taking still photos, the A80 can also record up to 3 minutes of video with sound. It has two resolution settings: 320 x 240, and 160 x 120. You can record for up to 3 minutes per clip in either resolution. Note that you cannot use the optical zoom when in movie mode. The included 32 MB memory card can hold 91 seconds of video at the highest setting.
The PowerShot A80 has a 1.5-inch variable-angle LCD monitor that gives you even more shooting options. Turn the LCD monitor 180 degrees toward the front of the camera and the A80 will display your choice of a mirror image or a non-reversed image to give you a true view of your actual shot.
Offering a wider scope for photographic experimentation, Canon has also included manual, aperture priority, and shutter priority exposure modes. These modes are supported by a metering system that boasts evaluative, center-weighted average and spot options.
Canon’s DIGIC (DIGital Imaging Core) processor ensures excellent color rendition and white balance for every shot, as well as super-fast auto focusing, noise-free imaging, and advanced flash exposure performance.
- Shooting Modes: Auto, Creative (P, Av, Tv, M, Custom 1, Custom 2), Programmed Image Control Zone, Image (Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Stitch Assist, Movie)
- White Balance Control: Auto, Pre-set (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent or Fluorescent H) or Custom
- Built-in flash with auto, red-eye reduction, on/of, and slow sync modes; 10-second recycle time
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8/ 8.0 (W), f/4.9/ 8.0 (T)
- Photo Effects: Vivid Color, Neutral Color, Low Sharpening, Sepia, Black & White
- Continuous shooting mode: 2.2 shots per second with LCD and Large/Fine mode off
- Self timer with 2 and 10 second options
Canon has introduced a series of printers designed to work directly with its lineup of digital cameras. Using these printers, no computer is required–simply connect the camera to the printer and start printing. Printers include Canon’s bubble jet direct printers i900D and i960, and card photo printer CP-200 and CP-300. Of course, photos from your camera can also be printed on any home computer system with an inkjet printer, sent off for online processing, or simply enjoyed on your computer screen.
Storage and Transfer
Images are stored on CompactFlash Type I memory cards; a 32 MB card is included. When shooting in Large/Normal mode, you can store 54 images on the included memory card. Images can be downloaded to either a Mac or PC via USB 1.1, which means the camera can be connected to any USB-based Windows Me/2000/XP and Mac OS 8.6 or later computer without installing any software.
Power and Size
The camera is powered by 4 AA batteries (alkalines included, NiMH rechargeables recommended). It measures 4.1 by 2.5 by 1.4 inches and weighs 8.8 ounces (excluding battery).
What’s In The Box
This package includes the PowerShot A80 digital camera, 32 MB CompactFlash memory card, four AA alkaline batteries, USB and AV cables, and wrist strap. It also comes with ArcSoft Camera Suite and Digital Camera Solutions CD-ROMs with imaging software and USB drivers for Windows and Mac.
Buy Direct From Manufacturer
- Canon PowerShot N 12.1MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Zoom with Case and Strap - Black 8231B001
Price: $299.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Canon Powershot A3500 16MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom - Red 8163B001
Price: $199.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Canon PowerShot SX530 16MP Compact Point and Shoot Digital Camera with 50X Optical Zoom - Black(9779B001) 9779B001
Price: $429.99 $279.99 Shipping: FreeSAVE 34%
- Canon PowerShot Elph 160 20MP Compact Digital Camera with 12X Optical Zoom - White (0140C001)
Price: $119.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping
- Canon PowerShot SX610 HS 20.2 MP Digital Camera 18x Zoom - Black (0111C001)
Price: $249.99 Shipping: FreeFree Shipping